Sunday, November 20, 2011

How It's Going

I really have nothing to complain about.  I had one really rough week where the nausea almost won.  I'm simply tired, a lot.  And I sleep.  Like, I can take a nap and still sleep 9+ hours a night.  My hubby is being a supportive trooper. I'm ready for bed nightly at 7:55 and more times than not, he'll come with me. I haven't been able to cook much thanks to the aversions and he's been great about fixing himself something.

Speaking of aversions, I really thought I'd have a lot of things I could no longer stand--true--but also find things I used to hate and all of a sudden have a liking for--false.  Some of my previously favorite things top off the NOs right now: string cheese, peanut butter, coffee.  Those make me sad.

I'm kind of hoping I'll develop a taste for beans/legumes.  I know they're good for me but the taste and texture do me in each time.

Around the end of week eight I developed some spotting issues.  No cramping and no bleeding so I felt that things were essentially fine.  But on the Saturday that led us to week 9, this had been 4 days now, I figured I should say something.  So I wrote a note to a nurse (my OB's office has this online patient portal thing) and didn't hear back until Monday--something I've now learned in standard--no one tends the patient portal on the weekends.

Anyhow, when someone finally called on Monday there was a slight panic being that I'm rh- and the need for me to get to the hospital stat.  Sigh.  So I went back to the hospital (the day of Michael Jackson's Dr's verdict...great viewing pleasure) and had to first be tested to make sure I was rh- (um, does that change?), wait for the Rhogam to be ordered and arrive and then finally another beta test to make sure my numbers were still okay.

Finally heard back from the office on Thursday morning (nothing like the waiting game) that the numbers were great, 112,000+.  Whew.

And then the spotting continued.  And the following Monday turned red.  Enough was enough.  I called in to work and then waited by the phone to call my OB's office at 8:00.  They were able to get me in at 11:30 that morning for an ultrasound.

Talk about nerve-wracking though.  The three and a half hour wait...

I picked up the hubs from work on the wait to the appointment and he did his best to distract me.  When we finally got into the room I could feel my heart beating through my chest.  The nurse doing the ultrasound found the baby right away.  And there it was, a little shape, just laying there.  I worried some wasn't moving.  And all of a sudden it was, and I could see the heart flickering.  It was amazing.  Then the tears came.  What a relief.

The Dr. said the baby looked perfect.  Even measuring a little bit ahead.  The spotting is apparently my cervix being irritated.  And it's still happening.  I'm not sure if it's something that will continue to happen or if it will eventually go away.  I have my next appointment the day after Thanksgiving.  I'll be sure to ask then.  For now we're just so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment