Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day

What did I do with my MLK day...or Records Day as my district announces it? I slept until 8:20 and that was nice. Once up I did my 6 Week 6 Pack and then decided it was best to do my 5k training right then. So I took to the frigid streets (24 degrees with a windchill that made it feel like 10) for training day three. One major problem of running outside, in Michigan, in winter was the snow-covered roads. Shortly after my warm up walk began I realized this wasn't going to be easy. It was literally like walking/running on sand. So today was snow-resistance training.

I found one block in our neighborhood that was fairly clear and ended up doing circles after a while. Even without the extra resistance, today was tough. I'm chalking it up to the cold temperatures...and the little icicles that formed on my lashes from the cold, which made my eyes water like mad.

Last week at school we read another book about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, had the opportunity to watch some great interviews with Rosa Parks, watch Dr. MLK, Jr's I Have A Dream Speech, and then followed it up with an art project.

A few years ago I drew a picture of Dr. MLK Jr and wrote, "I have a dream..." across it. The kids traced their hand and wrote one dream they had for the future. Most of them came up with great ideas! But of course there was one, "A million dollars," and one even more bizarre, "To play every winter sport,". Sigh.

Today I came across a quote that was Tweeted and ReTweeted on Twitter that I'm quite a fan of. If there is school tomorrow ("Ice Day, Ice Day, Ice Day") I'm going to put it up for the kids to think about: "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." -MLK, Jr. "

And that's all she wrote, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for your comment a while ago on my blog.
    We are doing well...just anxiously awaiting the arrival of our newest daughter!
    How have you been? I've been slacking so bad in the blog dept. (updating my own and reading others!)
    I did just update a few days ago, so I should be good to go for a month or so now :)
    I hope all is well with you!!

    ReplyDelete