Monday, May 24, 2010

Hot Minute



Well, ("It's a deep subject", as my mom would say) it's been a long weekend. Maybe it's been more of a long month. For a hot minute I was pregnant. Really. One year and eleven months of trying to conceive and we finally did. It was exciting, scary, and unbelievable all at the same time. But alas, it was short lived.

I'm mainly writing about this to help myself digest everything but I suppose someone, somewhere, may learn a thing or two from our experience.

First off, I could hardly contain the fact that I was late. I'm rarely ever late. The only things that make me late are travel and sickness...neither of which I had experienced this month. I, amazingly, controlled myself enough to wait five days past my missed period before testing.

After a series of very faint positives on a Monday night, I resolved to retest the next morning. The digital stick said, "PREGNANT" and the Dollar Store (um, those things really do work well!) one clearly showed a blue plus sign.

Finally. Almost two years of trying, hoping, peeing on sticks to finally see
pregnant. Me, I was pregnant. And when that actually sank in, it scared the shit out of me.

Tuesday morning I called my OB to schedule a blood test which I did late Tuesday afternoon. The hubs said he'd believe I was pregnant when it came from the doctor. So, I had to get the blood drawn. I hate needles and furthermore hate getting blood drawn from my body. But heck, if I were going to get a phone call in return telling me I was pregnant, it was worth it.

Wednesday afternoon, while in the computer lab with all 26 of my students and my dear friend the computer lab aide, I got the phone call. I answered the phone, smiling, anticipating the great news. When her tone didn't match mine, I immediately worried. From what I remember, this is what she said, "Your beta results show you're between one to two weeks pregnant."

Now, I'm no doctor, but I can do some math--and with the greatness of the Internet I'd already calculated a due date and all. "One to two weeks?"

"Yes."

"That can't be right (you know, because you can argue with a nurse and medical results), I'm at least five weeks along."

"Well, let's schedule you another blood test. If the levels rise, you're in good shape."

I don't remember much else of that conversation other than trying to excuse myself into the hallway to continue this awkward phone call only to find a colleague of mine standing there grading posters on the wall. How do you talk about this sensitive subject in front of others, especially when no one knows?!

Wednesday into Thursday were full of worry. I'm a realist. I'm definitely positive but when I'm given actual medical data, I can't help but think of what might be.

Thursday afternoon I returned for the blood test. On my way out, I made a comment like, "I sure hope this one's better than the last."

The lab tech said nothing. Not a good sign.

Thursday evening I cried all night long. I could feel it in my bones or rather, I couldn't feel it in my bones. I just knew.

Friday morning I woke up to spotting. In retrospect, I'm so glad I found out myself first, instead of having anyone else tell me. I snuggled in bed with the hubs before I left for work and told him the news. I cried a little bit more but pulled myself together for the commute to work.

When I got to work, I started bleeding. After walking my kids to their Special first thing in the morning, I noticed I had a voice mail. Again, not a good sign when the OB's calling you at 8 am.

I braced myself for the phone call and tried to talk myself out of crying. Worked like a charm, NOT.

Turns out this whole process is more complicated than just miscarrying. This included the doctor and also, and this was the hardest, telling my mom not only
was I pregnant, but I was now miscarrying. Both my mom and dad were headed up for the weekend and by the time this all happened, they had already arrived. After getting through the initial news, it worked out well. My mom came with me the whole afternoon and we even had the chance to go grab some lunch.

I had to go see my Dr. first to go over some information, set up repeat blood tests (watching hormone levels drop), receive an exam--which never happened-thank goodness, and get the schedule of when we could try again. Since I didn't know my blood type I had to also head to our hospital for more blood work (have I mentioned how much I hate needles and blood work?!?) to find out if I was RH negative.

I left my Dr's office with a form for the blood test that read at the bottom, "STAT". Now, I know I'm okay, uncomfortable, but okay, so why stat? Turns out, long story short, if I happened to be RH negative I would have to receive a shot called "Rhogam" to further prevent my body from fighting off and rejecting any future pregnancies. But don't you think I'd know if I were negative?

Turns out, not so much. After two very painful pokes (a MISS on the first attempt, that was no fun) I returned to the waiting room, eyes full of tears, to my mom. I don't do well with needles, ahem, and with the additional pain of a student phlebotomist I could hold no more.

We waited in the lab for another hour and a half only to have a nurse call my name again as she held a small package. Sure enough, RH negative. Which meant, another needle.

And that was the last time I cried during this whole situation. Am I sad? Sure. Is it the end of the world? Nope. Am I getting right back up and back on the family planning wagon again? You betcha.

I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. This has been proven to me time and time again. I'm waiting for this one to be completely clear. I now know about the RH negative issue but I feel there may be something greater than that. Only time will tell.

But for one hot minute, I was pregnant.

8 comments:

  1. You are so strong. I am sorry this happened, what a difficult ordeal. But you are right, things happen for a reason. I know things will work out. I am glad you have such a positive attitude, it really is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I kept checking your blog and was wondering if something was going on as you had not posted in awhile. It will happen again.
    You have such a positive spirit. Hang in there.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe Holly, Thinking of you. Sorry you are going through this, but I feel like you have your hot nine months coming soon, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you are the epitome of strong. You have a very good outlook on this. I am so sorry to hear the news but so thrilled that you are looking at it with an optomistic view! My fingers will remain crossed for yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry....I love your outlook on it though, and knowing your Rh type will be beneficial next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Holly! I'm so sorry you're miscarrying! Actually, the fact that you've now gotten pregnant is good news, and will help if you encounter any further fertility obstacles.

    My thoughts are with you as you go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your baby... My heart goes out to you as I know the pain of wanting to be pregnant so badly, finally getting pregnant and then mis-carrying.
    My prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sooo sorry for your loss! I am happy that you were pregnant, but my heart breaks that you miscarried. I will be praying for you!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete