Thursday, May 27, 2010

Testing, Testing

I went back in for my beta hcg test on Wednesday. The way my doctor's office is set up involves me bypassing the regular waiting room and finding my way to a tiny sitting area just outside the lab. Unlike my previous blood draws, the door to the lab was closed and the note upon it prompted me to patiently wait in a seat and I would be helped soon.

As I sat there, I kid you not, three different pregnant women--all with husbands/boyfriends in tow--came bounding back for their ultrasounds. Without expecting it (but why would I?) I found myself sad. I think there was one quick moment where I could have cried. Was this my first test of strength? But then I remembered, someday that WILL be me too. I will drag my hubby along with me to the OB to share in the excitement of hearing baby's first heartbeat. Ahhhhh.

Then the door to the lab opened and there stood the tech who I had seen the other day. You know, the one who had no comment when I said, "I sure hope this one's better than the last".
But unlike last time with her, this poke was painful...and I think she nearly missed the vein because she said, "Uh oh", (yeah, thanks by the comforting!) and when I looked over I saw my blood all spluttered in a tube and a very small amount in the vial. She literally had to look up how much blood was needed for this test to make sure she had enough. I was sweating bullets for a moment. Luckily, half a whatever (I can't remember how much it was) was enough. It literally took up half an inch at the bottom of the vial.

Then I had to wait. I'm not a big fan of the waiting game. However, waiting for this wasn't too bad. If my hormone levels were too high, I guess I'd be back in the same chair next week. If they were normal I'm off the hook.

I got the call this afternoon and then sat on hold for 14 minutes to hear, "Everything looks good. Your level came back at 3. We consider 5 normal".

So now I'm back to the waiting game. Waiting for Aunt Flo to show back up. Then waiting for her to go away and then show back up again and then back into the baby making frame of mind.

Of course it's not that simple. Remember those two little things that can put my monthly schedule into a tizzy? Well, I'm planning on one of those in exactly one month from tomorrow. And trust me, I don't plan when I'm going to be sick. It's back to New York for me for a week. Have I ever mentioned that I Heart NY? I really do. But having it put my schedule outta whack is going to suck. This year, however, I'm going to be in shape and maybe having that regular-ness will help out in other areas too.

But, either way-depending on when AF shows up for the first time (um, on my normal cycle or following the MC cycle plus the travel delay) I'm hopefully looking into a mid to late July try. I have my fingers and toes crossed. I know it won't be easy, it never is. I just wonder how much testing I can stand up to?


  1. Wow, you are amazing. I would be balling while getting my blood drawn in that office. I really hope your cycle is normal! My fingers and toes are crossed as well!!

  2. I just wanna hug you! I absolutely love that you know that it WILL be you one day bounding in for your ultrasound. It will!