Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Now That's Funny


In school I teach my kids about homophones-two words that sound alike but have different meanings and are usually spelled differently. We talk about noticing the spellings and also using the context clues around the word to help decipher the meaning. We also study homonyms-words that are spelled alike and sound alike but have different meanings. These eight and nine year olds quite get it.

I thought most adults did too. I didn't realize I needed a homonym disclaimer on my last post.

I got a comment on that theory post that baffled me at first and then sent me rolling with laughter, imagining the sight. (Although, it's very possibly spam...)

Now picture this, me talking about the symbolism of seeing these:

(Courtesy of Google Images)

Yep these, flying by me on the highway. Swimming in the river near the ducks.

Really?

So to the 'person' who sent me this comment,

This is a very helpful post, i hope this really helps me to complete my project. There are many different varieties of cranes on the market today, both in terms of size and type. Each type and size serves a different function. In essence, a crane is a machine, which lifts materials up and down as well as horizontally. They are most often used in the construction, manufacturing and transport industries.

I would just like to clarify that I meant these:

(Courtesy of Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment